Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Stretching until I cramp.

Went for my standard 3.70km run around the neighbourhood last night, in the rain. With all the rain we have been having you figure we would be up to my nose in snow if it were just a tad colder. I started slow and warmed up nicely.

I have a love/hate relationship with running. It must be my latent laziness. Running is hard. One can't tune out. If one runs with bad form injury will result. I focus on staying upright, no slouching, no slacking, feet pointing forward, not flopping around, arms pumping back and forth, no flopping, trying as much to breath properly, knees over toes. I hope the ski marathon is easier.

Got home and stretched. If I don't stretch injury will result. Stretched so hard a muscle next to my right scapula cramped, and is still cramping (or did I pull it?) at 6:58am. Took an Advil Extra Strength bomb to get me to sleep at 1:30am.

While I was up I watched a 1975 movie about Jack Rabbit Johannson. Those old movies are clichéd...the old man at 100, sitting by his fire smoking his pipe thoughtfully, staring off at the distance...at one point he's chopping wood. Hacking away with a dull axe at one particularly frozen piece of wood. Anyone who has ever chopped wood knows how silly that scene was. The very next scene he's lighting a perfect fire....ummm, not with that snow-covered piece of maple!

Here is the link in case you want to watch the film. It's 28 minutes long.


The funny thing is that I thought I would start training myself to sleep longer yesterday. After all, the week before the race I'll need lots of sleep. I also had this weird idea that I'd start getting up at 4:30am for the next two months and training early....

Okay that was a dumb idea!

No comments: