Sunday, January 15, 2012

Finally skiing in GROOMED TRACKS!!!

Saturday the 14 and Sunday the 15th I drove over to Base de Plein Air des Cedres.

http://www.basedepleinairdescedres.com/

It's an outdoor centre, with some terrific forest land that has trails for everyone....skate skiers, classic skiers, snowshoers, walkers, ATVS and they even have a tubing hill and a skating rink!

It's $9 for the day to get in. They rent ski equipment and are clearly a very important and popular place.
I have never skied there before, so when I pushed off and found myself in a winter wonderland in new perfectly groomed tracks, mostly alone, in a forest of big tall old pine trees, I was awed!

There are a few ravines, and a road to cross, so in a 9km loop there is a bit of everything for the Canadian Ski Marathon newbie. I met a chap there with a big pack on his back....obviously training for the CdB Gold...we chatted for a bit and then he passed me, simply and easily. Lord I need to wax better and get those new skis back!

After my first 9km loop I felt good, so I did another one. Along the way, I ate my trail mix, drank my hot chicken broth, and drank my water. My waxing was terrible, I had no glide.


Today, the 15th, was better.

I cleaned my grip area last night and reduced its size. I waxed only white (it's -20C) and spread some glide goop that I had for my waxless skis.

Today's ski saw much better glide, but I think I was a bit tired. I did 12kms in about 1hour and 30 minutes. Slow, I know, but it's training nonetheless. I'm enjoying that fact that the -20 isn't daunting me.

I got a nice Salomon ski jacket for Christmas that is working out really well.  Today for headwear I wore a little Icebreaker Merino Wool beanie that worked just fine in the -20. I vaselined my face and that seemed to protect it when the wind hot me in open spaces.

By the way, I found a terrific blog, written in French, by a chap who appears to have skied EVERYWHERE in Quebec! He writes simply and descriptively, includes a photo or two, and has simply covered every place imaginable! A real asset to us Cross Country Skiers!!

http://skiglisse.blogspot.com/

No comments: